Tuesday, March 10, 2015

"Heaven and Hell" - Where do you see yourself?

"Heaven and Hell" - Series of Paintings by Nicole Royer

In my new series of acrylic paintings on canvas, I explore the idea of using black, white, gray and a splash of gold to highlight my painting techniques.  I use texture, layering, thickening mediums and motion in my brushwork to express the feelings of
"Heaven and Hell". 
 
It started with one canvas earlier this year, of only white and black paint.  Once the paint and water started mixing together on the canvas, grays started to form.  This piece entitled "Angelfire" stirred emotions to begin a whole new idea for me, someone who is normally such a color-filled Artist!

In exploration of "shades of gray" (no, not that kind), I discovered dragging a large, flat brush over semi-dry paint, and even adding more paint at times, will give unique textures and variations in the gray shades.  I have dripped a few dots of black over the mostly-white background and pulled out striations as if in a varied sky on a cold day.  You won't see any fluffy, white cumulous clouds but you may experience a glimpse of light gray, stratus clouds leading up to Heaven. 

So, on to the context of this series of work...

I started grouping my paintings into a series once "Inferno" was completed in October.  I knew after I had traveled to Los Angeles, I had some new feelings brewing inside but I wasn't sure what they were.  "Inferno" is a painting in reds, blacks and golds which looks like Dante's Inferno of Hell.  It is a sharp contrast to the dusty, whisps in "Angelfire".  I don't know if it was because much of the clothing in LA has angel wings on them, being the City of Angels, or if it's because I've been watching tv shows like "Supernatural", "Grimm" and "Constantine".  Whatever it was, something struck me about this subject. 

The 3rd painting is titled "First Breath".  I don't want to give this one away yet so I'll let you think on this!

The 4th painting, "Souls' Ascent", is probably my favorite so far. 
Here is a pic of the full image, below. The original is 36" x 48" 




The 5th painting is titled "25 Lashings" and it is a very large 48" x 60" piece, almost lifelike in size. It depicts the idea behind this religious form of whipping punishment.  This painting is emotional, a little violent and yet somehow suggests an end at peace.  I can't wait to share it with you all in person!

My 6th painting, "Into the Gates", uses more grays and gold.  The shiny gates leading into Heaven's doors open only for deserving souls.  It is a bit smaller at 30" x 40" and uses more of a drip technique than the brushwork of some others in the series. You can see it here...


I can't wait to finish this group of paintings and show them in person!  I am looking for the perfect venue for 2015 and will be updating my blog as things progress.

Take care...


- Nicole Royer, Abstract Action Painter



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment